Skates are great for the ice arena, but when our roads turn into ice rinks, you’ll want the best snow tire possible. Even though this year’s winter forecast for Hamburg, NY is warmer than usual, you know it will still be cold with plenty of snow. Make sure that you and your vehicle are ready for the snow. The proper snow tires are going to matter! Schultz Auto & Truck Repair can help you with the right snow tires, and here are some other helpful suggestions for handling this year’s New York winter:
- You have great snow tires, now you need to make sure they are in the best condition possible. Check for tread depth as well as wear or other damage to the side walls. This can help you stop when you need to even with snowy conditions.
- Know that all the great de-icing salts and chemicals help to keep the ice down on the roadways but they also wear down your brakes. Make sure to have your brakes checked out this winter.
- Plan ahead for any winter road trips. Make sure your winter tires are up to snuff and don’t travel if you don’t have to no matter how awesome your winter tires are, because even the best snow tires can’t keep you from all accident potentials.
- Take your time and leave early. Even if you’re running behind schedule, never race in the ice and snow. Better to be late than in the hospital.
- Take the time you need to come to a proper stop.
- In nasty winter conditions, it’s illegal to go the suggested speed limit. Drive to the weather conditions at all times.
- Don’t ride the bumper of the car in front of you at any time, but especially in winter weather conditions.
Other basics in keeping you safe this winter:
- Keep a well-furnished emergency kit in your vehicle. Be sure to include jumper cables, at least one flashlight with extra batteries, a warm blanket, snacks, necessary meds, warm gloves, and some cash.
- Don’t ever use plain water as wiper fluid or it will freeze. Do make sure to keep extra in your car during these cold months.
- If you haven’t replaced your windshield wipers this year, now is the time. Don’t find out that you need new ones on a snow-storm day as you’re trying to get to and from work or school.
- Take the time to scrape the ENTIRE windshield, not just a few inches right in front of you. It does take longer, but it’s worth its weight in gold when it comes to keeping you and your passengers safe.
Make your appointment today the right snow tires for your vehicle and any other New York winter auto prep needs. Schultz Auto & Truck Repair is conveniently located at 5085 Southwestern Blvd., Hamburg, NY 14075 and we are open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.